Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A word from last year's Adventure Award winner

The adventure component of the Kaléo Program is designed to stretch students out of their comfort zones while giving an an amazing opportunity to experience the goodness of God in creation. We dive into each adventure in community seeking to grow together, learn about leadership, and worship in the beauty of creation. Here is a word from last year's adventure award winner:

My name is Brookelynn Allan and I was the winner of the adventure award. When I was applying for the Kaleo program the adventure component was what made me the most nervous. I knew coming into the program that I would have to face many of my fears such as my fear of heights and my fear of the ocean; but I felt God telling me that it's time to get over those fears and put my trust in Him. This program has stretched me further out of my comfort zone than I've ever gone before, and more than I ever could on my own. The leaders and my fellow classmates helped me realize that I am not alone, I was not the only one with these fears and the encouragement that I received from everyone was incredible. The encouragement I received helped me to gain the confidence and belief that I could in fact do it!
          Not only was I afraid of the adventure component because of my fears but I was also afraid because of my skill level. In high school I had lots of really athletic friends and I was the one that never made any of the sports teams. This was really hard for me because I always felt like a failure and even got picked on by my friends because I didn't have the skill level that they did. I thought coming into this program that what happened in high school would happen again because of my skill level with the adventures, but I was wrong. This program has helped me to realize that I am not a failure and that God has gifted me in other ways. In order to have a great experience in the adventure component of the program it is important to have an open mind and to be okay with the skill level that God has given you. Try all the adventures, push through and try your best through them all. The adventures are not actually as scary as they seem at first glance, but as soon as you go for it, its really fun. The adventures were a huge help in my growth this year and I can't imagine where I would be without the experience. 
(Brookelynn is on the left)

No comments:

Post a Comment